About Chipper LowellThe Real Scoop
Chipper Lowell : Biography
Award-winning comedian & magician, Chipper Lowell, has been described as an “artistic cyclone of talent and comedy” by the press. The red head’s best known “skills” can usually be found onstage, doling out witty remarks, presenting bizarre feats of original magic, ad-libbing with audience members who can’t stop laughing, attempting pointless juggling stunts, pulling a seemingly endless barrage of unusual thing-a-ma-bobs and gadgets out of his prop trunks, and in short, creating a wonderful evening of high-energy laughs and amazement for all those in attendance. (How’s THAT for a run-on sentence? You’re welcome!)
For over 20 years, Chipper has been bringing his odd brand of infectiously amusing mayhem to audiences around the world at performing arts centers, theaters, cruise ships, casino showrooms, and corporate events. His tours have taking him throughout the United States, Canada, England, Australia, New Zealand, Malaysia, and Mexico.
As a boy, Chipper was literally born and raised on traveling circuses and large scale arena shows with his show business parents. His father was a professional clown with Ringling Bros and his mother performed as an aerialist working high above the crowds. By age 17, Chipper was creating his own shows, parodying many of the variety arts he grew up with, while also creating some eye-popping magic routines of his own along the way. His improv training came from the critically acclaimed Groundlings Theater in Los Angeles – the popular improvisational venue that brought us Will Ferrell, Kristin Wigg, Pee Wee Herman, and many more SNL and MadTV alumni. This led to working the comedy club circuit full-time for the next 7 years, headlining all throughout the U.S. and Canada.
In time, Chipper was soon appearing in upscale theatrical shows, and headlining many of the casino towns including Las Vegas, Tahoe, and Atlantic City, at landmark resorts such as Caesars, Harrahs, Flamingo, Harvey’s, Horizon, and Resorts International. He quickly racked up an impressive list of theater and casino bookings and never looked back.
He has received some pretty cool awards and accolades along the way, like being honored with “Comedy Magician of the Year!” (twice), “Specialty Act of the Year!”, THREE nominations for “Stage Magician of the Year”, and was listed among the “Top Funniest Magicians Performing Today” by MAGIC Magazine.
All of this led to Chipper popping up on TV here and there in such shows as The Tonight Show, Disney Channel Preview Special, Don’t Blink!, Empty Nest, Show Me The Funny!, Street Magic, General Hospital, The (Jerry Lewis) MDA Telethon, America’s Funniest People!, and multiple guest-starring spots on all EIGHT seasons of Masters Of Illusion on the CW network. He has also had acting roles and cameo appearances in feature films including My Life, SIX, Larger Than Life, and Time Changer.
Chipper has shared the stage with such artists as The Osmond Brothers, Tom Bergeron, Collin Raye, Cristela Alonzo, Mary Wilson (of the Supremes), Jerry Seinfeld, The Lennon Sisters, Jo Koy, Dana Carvey, George Wallace, Judy Gold, Tom Wilson, Larry Miller, Garry Shandling, Paul Reiser, Sarah Silverman, Dean Cain, Kevin Nealon, Carl Ballantine, Amazing Johnathan, Dev Patel, Paul Williams, Norm Crosby, Terry Fator, Carol Leifer, Mickey Gilley, and Michael Bolton. He’s also performed for several celebrities over the years, including Jason Alexander, Paul Ruebens (Pee-Wee Herman), William Shatner, Katey Segal, Robert Zemeckis, Denzel Washington, Jackson Browne, Dr. Laura, John Krazinski, David Copperfield, Alan Cumming, Emily Blunt, Freida Pinto, Criss Angel, Stephen Merchant, Kate Flannery, Carol Channing, Julie Newmar, Lily Tomlin, Rob Riggle, Jane Wagner, and Normal Lear, just to name a few.
In addition to his theater tours, Chipper continues to entertain at top corporate and special events for companies such as AT&T, Pepsi, In ’N Out Burger, Nabisco, Bank of America, Irvine Company, Flour Corporation, Disney, Forest Lawn, Ritz Carlton, Harrahs, Caesars, Citicorp, Tropicana, Resorts, FedEx, Raytheon, and Wells Fargo. Chipper is well known for customizing his shows to the client’s needs – from presenting a 15 minute, high-energy set to energize your group, to a full evening, 60 to 90 minute performance for corporate banquets, award ceremonies, holiday events, and more! And, of course, his shows are always 100% “Corporate Clean” when it comes to great comedy, magic, and hilarious audience interaction. In short, a fantastic and memorable time had by all!
Away from the spotlight, Chipper has produced several comedy CDs and recordings for Rhino Records, including “Comic Relief IV, V & VI,” “National Lampoon’s Radio Hour Anthology,” and “The American Comedy Box”. His writing credits include “Comic Strip Live”, the feature film “SIX”, and “The Magic of David Copperfield” television special. He has also written for theatrical productions including Phantasy, The Chipper Experience, BLiNK!, and Life and Other Deceptions.
Since 2014, Chipper has also co-starred in several large scale touring shows, including “Moon River & Me – A Tribute to Andy Williams”, “Unbelievable! – A Magical Experience”, “Masters Of Illusion LIVE”, and “The Illusionists Experience”. “Unbelievable” was the largest stage production to date for Chipper, with a 16 show run in Vancouver, B.C., and arena audiences ranging from 6,000 to 8,600 people nightly.
In 2019, Chipper starred in the Broadway hit theatrical show, “CIRCUS 1903”, in various countries around the world, in the lead role of “Owner/Ringmaster.” This incredible, full-scale stage production features a beautiful, original score, dazzling sets, amazing artists, acrobats, and aerialists, as well as two jaw-dropping “elephants” – known as ‘Queenie’ and baby ‘Peanut’ – created and manipulated by the same award-winning puppeteering team that bought the stage play “WAR HORSE” to life on Broadway and London’s West End.
Chipper performs at several charity and fundraising events each year, with a special focus on Autism Awareness and promoting financial support to families dealing with autism. For the past few years, he has spoken at various events on how he and his wife have raised their child who was diagnosed with high functioning autism at the age of three. Chipper is currently putting the finishing touches on a new book on the subject of parenting children with autism, which is expected to debut in the next year or two.
Another book project is currently in the works. This one will tell the life and times of his ‘show business’ father – covering his extraordinary career including being one of the popular circus clowns appearing on Ringling Bros. Barnum & Bailey for seven-plus years, touring the world, popping up on television’s “Magic Land of AllaKazam, working in the entertainment department of Disneyland back in the ’60s as well as the 1964 World’s Fair, producing variety shows and 4th of July Spectacular events, owning a flea circus (yes, a REAL flea circus), and so much more.
His greatest joy, however, is spending time at home with his wife, their son, and a mortgage… 🙂
:: Career Highlights ::
Television & Film (partial list)
• The Tonight Show – NBC
• Masters Of Illusion! – CW network (6 seasons)
• Everybody’s Talking! – Syndicated
• America’s Funniest People! – FOX
• The Disney Preview Special – Disney Channel
• They Came From Outer Space – FOX
• The John Larroquette Show – NBC
• Jerry Lewis MDA Telethon – Syndicated
• General Hospital – ABC
• Top 15 Summer Blockbusters of All Time! (CW)
• Shades of L.A. – CBS
• Empty Nest – NBC
• KidSongs – PBS
• Don’t Blink! – POP
• Good Morning Los Angeles – ABC
• The Art of Mime I & II – Syndicated
• Show Me The Funny! – FOX
• My Life – feature film – Columbia Pictures
• SIX – feature film – Majestic Productions / Sony
• Time Changer – feature film – Five & Two Pictures / Christiano Film Group
• Larger Than Life – feature film – United Artists
Stage Productions & Revue Shows (partial list)
• The Chipper Experience! – Where COMEDY & MAGIC Collide!™- various tours – U.S.
• CIRCUS 1903 – various international tour dates
• The Chipper Lowell Experience! – 13 month run – Horizon Casino Resorts, Lake Tahoe, NV
• International Superstars of Magic & Comedy – Majestic Theatre, Dallas, TX
• Superstars of Magic II – Genting Resorts, Malaysia
• Magic & Miracles! – 38 city tour – Canada (twice)
• COMEDY-SLAM! – various engagements – U.S.
• The Illusionists Experience – Reno, NV
• BLiNK! – An Evening of Award-Winning Comedy & Magic! – various tours – U.S.
• BLiNK! – An Evening of Award-Winning Comedy & Magic! – dinner theater show – CA
• World Festival of Magic! – 17 city tour – New Zealand (twice)
• Razz-Ma-Tazz! – 14 city tour – Austraila (twice)
• Spellbound – Harrahs Casino, Las Vegas, NV
• The CHIP SHOW! – Curtis Theatre, Brea, CA
• UNBELIEVABLE! – Pacific Northwest Exhibition, Canada
• An Evening of Comedy & Magic – various tour dates – USA
• Wildfire! – Resorts International, Atlantic City, NJ
• Out Of Control! – Concorde Hotel & Casino, Aruba
• Battle of the Dance – Anaheim, CA
• Basin Street Follies – 4 contracts – Showboat Casino, Atlantic City, NJ
• Jubilation! – Crystal Palace Casino Resort, Nassau, Bahamas
• It’s Magic! – various tour dates – USA
• Risky Business! – Harvey’s Casino Resort, Lake Tahoe, NV
• V – The Ultimate Variety Show – 2 month run – Tropicana Casino, Atlantic City, NJ
• Legends in Concert – Buena Park, CA
• LAFF-TRIX – Caesars Casino, Lake Tahoe, NV
• Magic Underground – Reno, NV
• RED, WHITE & BLUES – Tropicana Resort, Laughlin, NV
• Broadway Babies! – Sheraton Resorts, Valley Forge, PA
• Fizzz! – Resorts International, Atlantic City, NJ
• Masters of Magic – Tribeca Performing Arts Center, NY
Theaters & Performing Arts Centers (partial list)
Cruise Lines, Fairs, and Attractions (partial list)
• HOLLAND AMERICA – various ships – 6 years
• CELEBRITY – various ships – 7 years
• Kentucky State Fair
• Ohio State Fair
• Oklahoma State Fair
• Florida State Fair
• Missouri State Fair
• Disneyland, Anaheim, CA
• Knott’s Berry Farm, Buena Park, CA
• Great America, San Jose, CA
• Valley Fair, Burnsville, MN